.

Tea. Sleeping Kittens. The Smell of Old Books. Expensive Cheese. Painted Toenails. Lounging Around. Coffee Beans. Weddings. Poached Eggs. Napping. Candles. Secrets. Photographs. Harry Potter. Sex. Hand Holding. Fabulous Hair. Ribbons. Dinosaurs. Rage comics. Air Guitar. Montages. Swooning. Red Grapes. Sleeping. Paper Bags. Stockings. Canvas. Daydreaming. Piles of Book's. Cheap Dvd's. Cheeky Emails. Hand-made anythings. Whispering. Red Hair. Roller Derby. Jam. Laughing. Raspberry Lollies. Hugs. Letter's. Family. Batman. Flowers. Avocado. Art. Text's. Love.


Saturday, June 26, 2010

FIVE. Packing.


I just packed up my DVDs.
Anyone who knows me, knows i have a lot of DVDs. A heap of DVDs. I love my DVDs. Sure, there are many, many things i love more than my DVDs. But you can't alphabetize expensive cheeses, the sound of grinding coffee or kittens and display them proudly on a shelf.

The packing of the DVDs for me symbolizes the "Oh-god-it's-actually-happening-I'm-packing-my-things-and-moving-interstate" phase of the new return to my Old Life. My Old Life was in Brisbane, where i had a bunch of the greatest people I've ever known as my friends. I love them so, but i love my Mumsy more. So when she got sick, i made the choice to move back to Melbourne and look after her. I wouldn't of been anywhere else. Anyhoo, Eighteen months on and now I'm sitting on my bed, atop a pile of clothes, books, knick knackery and rubbish in a room that looks something like this -


Except messier, trying to sort my life into neat, organised and clearly labelled boxes.
Where on EARTH did i get all this stuff from? I've fitted my life into my car on two other occasions and that seemed to go fine. Heck, the second time i did it, i didn't even need the roof racks that i bought to attach extra boxes. Now, sitting on my throne of crap, trying hard to be ruthless, I'm panicking a little.

I seem to have accumulated double the amount of things since I've been here, i have more cookery books, home wares and figurines than is necessary for someone who has technically been living out of one room for the past year and a half. I keep pulling things out of my seemingly never ending wardrobe and wondering how it all fitted. My Mum always did call me a squirrel. I'm a keeper of things. Collector of the unnecessary, a hoarder. I can;t chuck anything out. What if i need that pamphlet on the 2007 Expressionists exhibit on again in the future? I know this cup is cracked and technically useless, but one day i may use it as a planter in my future home. You never know when you'll need a 200 pack of tea light candles, or two giant, broken preserve pots without handles. I have all of this stuff.

The problem is, I'm not in a particularly ruthless mood tonight. I accidentally started looking though old photos and i got all sentimental/teary and had to settle my extreme bout of emotion with a cup of tea and a few pieces of individually wrapped dove chocolates with pretty sayings on the inside of each wrapper. Ugh. That's why my DVDs are packed. I would never throw away a DVD. I still have a copy of Cheaper By the Dozen 2 that i borrowed for the kids at my old job and forgot to return. I've watched it twice and it's been shit, twice, but i can't get rid of it. They are easy to pack and all fit neatly into banana boxes which can them be stacked on my backseat ready for their big journey back home. I guess i packed them because now without them my room looks less like my room and it has slightly encouraged me to attack my piles of belongings with more vigour and start to really get the ball rolling.


Next stop is my bookshelf, because like DVDs, i can't get rid of a book.


On a completely different note. I bought Mr Spomes and myself matching and ADORABLE Keep Cups for our giant drive back to Brisbane. They are all environmentally spiffy and as a Barista, they make my job of caffeinating the masses less guilty when people bring in re-usable cups.

I also got them in matching colours!!!

They look like this, except Spomes has a dark blue band and i have a red band. Nerdy, coffee related Bliss.

3 comments:

  1. Keep Cups! :) Are those trunks yours? Because if they are, wow, are they going to look brilliant in your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they were mine.

    Alas, google imaged pretty trunks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those keep cups are adorable! i want one!

    X

    ReplyDelete