.

Tea. Sleeping Kittens. The Smell of Old Books. Expensive Cheese. Painted Toenails. Lounging Around. Coffee Beans. Weddings. Poached Eggs. Napping. Candles. Secrets. Photographs. Harry Potter. Sex. Hand Holding. Fabulous Hair. Ribbons. Dinosaurs. Rage comics. Air Guitar. Montages. Swooning. Red Grapes. Sleeping. Paper Bags. Stockings. Canvas. Daydreaming. Piles of Book's. Cheap Dvd's. Cheeky Emails. Hand-made anythings. Whispering. Red Hair. Roller Derby. Jam. Laughing. Raspberry Lollies. Hugs. Letter's. Family. Batman. Flowers. Avocado. Art. Text's. Love.


Friday, August 6, 2010

WE ARE IN!

We are all so utterly exhausted! Have you ever moved before? I'm pretty sure it is one of the most stressful and draining activities one can engage in. SO much packing and lifting and heaving and sweating. It's terrible! Although, I can now safely say after much of the previous sentence combined with sorting and scrubbing and shuffling and dusting we are finally all settled into our new digs and we are very, very proud. We don't have curtains or a fridge, but it's ours and we love it.



Up we rose on Saturday morning at the crack of dawn to pick up the giant Ute we had hired for the day. Spomes headed off down to Morayfield to pick up a bar he had inherited from his Grandpa while I finished packing our last few bits and pieces at the old place (or shuffling around like a sleep deprived zombie sweeping things into green bags).

The bar is beautiful, it's made of old, solid wood that weighed a tonne and took four of us to hoist up the stairs but it now sits proudly in the dining room with it's matching wooden stools. Grandma Spomes even gave us some exquisite glass decanters to decorate the bar (and maybe one day fill with some very expensive alcohol – I can dream!).


That is pretty much the only thing in the dining room at the present time, I'd like a little table for four in there one day so I can have people around for magnificent dinners.


After the bar was in place, Amy and her Nick, Spomes and his friend Tim and I started on the rest of our stuff. The apartment we were moving from is on the fourth floor of a block so a lot of the moving involved us basically pushing things down the stairs and hoping that we weren't trampled to death by our tumbling furniture (Responsible, I know). The entrances to our new home are very narrow, it's an old Queenslander and up on stilts, so there are stairs on either side. It was obvious that some of our furniture was not going to fit through either of the doors, so we did the next best thing and starting passing/shoving/throwing the furniture up over the balcony and through the glass doors. It took five of us, three cars, one Ute and about five hours but we managed to get everything in place and even squeeze in time for a TV delivery. (Spomes pride and joy at the moment is a million inch flat/plasma/HD high-tech television that he has been drooling over for several months. The second that his tax went into his account he sprinted to the nearest television shop and bought his baby, now it is perched on it's IKEA throne while he lovingly fiddles with all the controllers. It's kinda cute, his clothes are still in bags all over the floor, but that TV is tuned to perfection.)


It's a monster, isn't it?


We've been spending most of our time around work unpacking and setting up our things. We still don't have any bookshelves (and probably won't until our bank accounts stop resembling a gutted, wasteland) and the inner housewife in me would like some nice side tables to place my various girly things on, but the house now looks like someone is living in it comfortably instead of squatting. Saturday night we decided to throw an impromptu Mexican mini-feast for Amy and Nick to say a big THANK YOU for helping us move. We really couldn't of done it without them, and although they are probably still grumbling about us from their house and nursing their moving bruises and sprains, we love them and owe them BIG TIME. Dinner was nice, we were all so worn out from the days activities that after we had stuffed ourselves silly on tacos, beer and fajitas we pretty much just lazed around until ten thirty and then the guys dragged themselves home. Party animals.




I'm ludicrously in love with my kitchen. I love, worship and adore it. IT'S MINE! I've never had a kitchen of my very own before and I'm enjoying pottering around it WAY too much.







Although it's not finished, It's nice to have all my things out finally. They have been packed away in boxes and hiding in my old room for far too long! Sure, I don't have a fridge, toaster or microwave so I can't really cook or bake anything for a few more days, but I enjoy being in it all the same. I can't wait until we do our big shop for all our foodie things, I have an empty spice rack that needs things to love, and a shelf full of home made jams and chutneys and no real food to put them with! Tonight I created a quick pasta concoction that required no perishable items or refrigeration except for a bit of chorizo that Spomey brought home after work. I got to break in my new pans and knives and it was glorious! Hacking up the herbs (fresh from my window sill!) with my Mezzaluna was the best, I've never used one before, just swooned over Nigella going to work with one, so it was nice to finally try it out.

It's odd being in a house at long last. I feel so incredibly blessed to have everything go as smoothly as it did. I can see myself in this house for a long time and I know that now I'm move and settled, things will only get better. I can also bake a tonne of awesome things and start dabbling in 'How To' blogging. YAY!!!

Now, I have things to sweep and shelves to dust, I wonder how long the novelty of cleaning will last!





EDIT - I got a fridge yesterday! Proudly it sits in the kitchen with all of four things in it.


3 comments:

  1. Aw, I really like the pale green colour of your house! Yep, I'm shallow like that :( It's super cute though, and your food looks so yum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, delicious pie. Will have to try my hand at it...

    Mmm. Pie.

    ReplyDelete