.

Tea. Sleeping Kittens. The Smell of Old Books. Expensive Cheese. Painted Toenails. Lounging Around. Coffee Beans. Weddings. Poached Eggs. Napping. Candles. Secrets. Photographs. Harry Potter. Sex. Hand Holding. Fabulous Hair. Ribbons. Dinosaurs. Rage comics. Air Guitar. Montages. Swooning. Red Grapes. Sleeping. Paper Bags. Stockings. Canvas. Daydreaming. Piles of Book's. Cheap Dvd's. Cheeky Emails. Hand-made anythings. Whispering. Red Hair. Roller Derby. Jam. Laughing. Raspberry Lollies. Hugs. Letter's. Family. Batman. Flowers. Avocado. Art. Text's. Love.


Wednesday, August 11, 2010

SO FRESH!

I've just had the most wonderful afternoon.

Darling Diana and I loaded ourselves up with green bags and headed off to the Rocklea markets for a produce buying spree. Diana has been a few times, both on a Wednesday afternoon and early Saturday, when the market are in full swing. Her raving finally got to me this morning after shopping with Spomes at Woolworth's and getting cranky at the ridiculous price of fruits and vegetables, so i decided to take her up on her offer of a personal guided tour of the markets. Have you ever been to this wonderful place? The amazing stall holders are kind enough to sell their wares from 3 until 8pm every Wednesday for those lazy people (read - Me) who cannot get up on a Saturday morning at the crack of dawn.

We arrived just before 4pm and i had to contain my excitement as i glimpsed at the first row of colourful fruits and vegetables on offer. It took all my willpower not to go sprinting through the aisles and diving into the piles of fresh fruit that were making me dribble. Being clever and organised i had jotted down a list of things that we needed for the next week or so. (It would try to prevent me from buying anything too unnecessary - like everything) I'd also noted the prices of the produce in Woolworth's so i could compare them to the market and secretly gloat. OH MY what a massive difference in price! For instance, my favorite Pink Lady apples were $4.98 per kilo in Woolies but at the magical markets the were only $1.80! WHEE!

Needless to say, i went a little crazy.



I did stick to my list mostly.
Everything was so cheap and delicious looking and i was able to get twice as much as i had planned for about a quarter of the price. I found a beautiful and giant Butternut Pumpkin nestled in a pile of potatoes and i had to take him home and make some more Spicy Pumpkin Butter. He was $2! Ridiculous compared to the 5 i had paid for the mere slice of pumpkin that i bought for my last batch. The two big punnet of Strawberries in the picture cost $7 for both, that was the most i spent on anything, including a kilo of Garlic bulbs!
There was a Spice Man at the entrance to the markets and he had an entire table of bags of spices ranging from Rosemary and Tarragon, to mixed spices for Lamb roasts and Spaghetti Bolognaise - Everything was $1.50. I bough two big bags of Cinnamon Sticks costing $3. I could of cried. The most expensive purchase apart from the strawberries was the sticks of rhubarb, probably the last of the season, they were $2.99 a bunch and i bought two so i can get to work making some more delicious Strawberry, Rhubarb and Vanilla jam for my friends who have been bugging me for weeks.
My mind was sufficiently blown.
I'm an utter convert and now a market junkie.



This fresh loaf of Ciabatta slipped inn my bag too.




And of course these chrysanthemums, so pretty!



It has become painfully obvious that we are in need of a Fruit bowl of some sort.

Tomorrow Diana and i are on the hunt for a sewing table so she can finally start her Sewing Adventures (and blog about them here!), we are hitting all the op-shops and antique places in Paddington/Bardon I'm going to have a rummage and see if i fall in love with a Side Table while we are shopping.
Amy and her Nick will be gracing us with their presence tonight to being night number one of our weekly 'Movies We Can't Believe Amy Hasn't Seen Yet' nights.
Movie number one? Back to the Future!
I'm making my Lamb Pizza for Spomes and I and some sort of Veggie Pizz-wich (pizza sandwich) for those two. We also bought popcorn, FUN!


No comments:

Post a Comment